Friday, May 18, 2012

Tyler's Senior Essence : )

 Photos speak to me. 
I know that sounds stupid, but it's true. 
On the tv show Bones (which I love, except when it gets sappy because you can't really put perfect bodies, perfect makeup, perfect teeth and perfect David Boreanaz in the same room with sappy and not have an itch to change the channel)
The BONES speak to Bones. The photos speak to me. 
When I am editing, I do not see the people go all Harry Potter on me and start moving and talking, no worries that this is a crazy blog. 
They have a feel to them. 
I can't even pinpoint or find a word for their feel. They just feel.
 Like, why does yellow go with purple?
No seriously, why. 
I'm totally serious. Why?
It just does. 
Or as Joe Dirt's Dad would say, "How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? 
How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work?
It just does."
(That's such a an awesome movie. 
You don't even know how many times a day I say,
"Life's a Garden, Dig it". 
Or, "Keep on keeping on!" And, "Don't church it up son.")
Anyways. 
I've read a few places that when you are editing you have to be careful so you don't settle in to making every photo look the same. I don't think I have that problem, because every photo speaks to me differently. A photo evokes an emotion, a memory, and heaven freaking knows how many different kinds of those there are. I take the pictures using my super special (and pretty basic) CAMERA SKILLS. Exposure...sharpness....depth of field....ISO.....working the shadows or eliminating them.....etc. 
And then I go home.
And the magic begins. For me. 
I have no idea what its doing to anyone else.
Although it would be nice if if the people I am taking pictures for like the photos. That's definitely in there as a goal.
So first I do basic things, making all those necessary touch ups....and then I add a little dollop of something. Something that matches what this photo is telling me. 
And that's all I know about how to describe it. 
Which is vague and I'm sorry. 
I just mean, certain colors or actions or effects, highlighting, low lighting, all these things work together to create this photo that is matching what I saw through the lens and lifts off the screen into my brain. 
The end. 
Now to the actual reason I am posting right now. 

Meet Tyler!
And his mom : )
We went out to the desert to take some photos of Tyler getting ready to leave High School behind in the dust. 
(Literally. Its windy out here.)
It was, as always, one of the funnest shoots ever!
Jeanette (Tyler's mom) is so so nice. It's always nice to do a shoot with happy smiling people. And while Tyler requested a more serious kind of a look represented here, his smile is pretty great too. 
So, here ya go! 
And thank you Tyler and Jeannette : )
Happy graduation!!!






My sister Elise loved this photo. Like, "GQ ALERT!"


I'm into the symbolism here. The END of school : )


And chairs are just cool. : )





Accidental Edit Alert! I love it! Thank goodness for accidental edits. They teach me more than youtube sometimes.


Another thing about photo shoots is I always have a favorite. And they're usually not the obvious one. I'm not sure if this is obvious or not, but this one is my favorite. I have three boys, maybe that's why, but here is Tyler. Here he is grown up, tattooed, girlfriended, about to graduate, ready to go off into the world, and here he is with his mom. And that last sentence is why this is my favorite. I'm a big fan of boys and their moms. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment